[XML-Projects] xmldiff and XUpdate

Nicolas Chauvat nicolas.chauvat at logilab.fr
Fri Aug 14 20:46:29 CEST 2009

Hello,

On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 05:26:40PM +0100, Peter Saffrey wrote:
> I'm using xmldiff to generate patches to apply to XML files. I'm looking
> for a tool to apply those patches.
>
> I see that xmldiff can generate XUpdate files, but I can't find anything
> that can successfully apply XUpdate on my toy examples. I've tried
> Python 4Suite's 4xupdate (gives a very long Exception) and the Perl code
> provided here:
>
> http://linux.com/archive/feature/136757
>
> which gives an obscure error. I haven't tried any of the Java based
> tools yet, because I'm finding it hard to believe there's nothing
> simpler for this. Can anybody help? Maybe there is a tool to apply
> xmldiff's native output format?

Try to get inspiration from xmlrev included in xmldiff, but it is not
a generic xmlpatch program:

http://hg.logilab.org/xmldiff/file/a5bd558ecb18/xsl/xmlrev.xslt#l1

We know of several XUpdate implementations, including this one:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/XML-XUpdate-LibXML/lib/XML/XUpdate/LibXML.pm

but we are not using much xmldiff these days and can not recommend one
that is known to work well.

--
Nicolas Chauvat