[Xml-logilab] xmldiff functionality

Sylvain Thenault thenault@isty-info.uvsq.fr
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:16:59 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Daniel wrote:

> Yes, well, my suggestion is not to check for order difference. Diff can
> tell me about that. I only want to know that the two documents contain the
> same information, regardless of the order it's presented.
> Maybe some additional switch to do that would be useful, because
> essentially, again, it's the data which is presented which is important,
> not the order it's given in, oftencase.
>
> example:
> It's sunny today.
> Today, the temperature is 23C.
>
> Do we care which order this informatino is given in? Not really

In this case we effectively don't care about the order. The problem is
that we have sometime to care about it (as for the comparison of different
versions of a docbook document, which was the original goal of xmldiff).
This is more generally the difference between data/document orientation.
Since the XML specification defines it as an ordered tree, that's the way
we've chosen.

A new algorithm must be implemented in order to add a switch for data
oriented xml, and that's not really straightforward, so it's not in the
planning for the moment...

regards

--
Sylvain Thenault