[Xml-logilab] xmldiff functionality

Daniel daniel@netwalk.org
Tue, 26 Feb 2002 16:58:15 -0500 (EST)

Yes, well, my suggestion is not to check for order difference. Diff can
tell me about that. I only want to know that the two documents contain the
same information, regardless of the order it's presented.
Maybe some additional switch to do that would be useful, because
essentially, again, it's the data which is presented which is important,
not the order it's given in, oftencase.

example:
It's sunny today.
Today, the temperature is 23C.

Do we care which order this informatino is given in? Not really

daniel

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Olivier CAYROL (Logilab) wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Daniel wrote:
>
> > I tried xmldiff by moving a <tag> from one point to another, such as in
> > this scenario:

> > As both XML's contain the exact same information, as far as XML is
> > concerned, I was hoping xml diff would tell me both are equal.
>
> The two XML documents you sent are different because an XML document is a=
> ordered tree. In most of the applications, the order of the nodes doesn't
> matter as long as they contain the same information. But in some
> applications, it is very important, here is an example in XSL-FO:
>   <fo:page-sequence>
>     <fo:block font-size=3D"15pt">My title</fo:block>
>     <fo:block>My first paragraph</fo:block>
>   </fo:page-sequence>
>   The first fo:block displays the title and the second one the first
>   paragraph. You do want the title to be displayed before the
>   paragraph thus you inserted the title before the paragraph.
>
> That's why xmldiff states that your two documents are different and as fa=
> as I remember, it states that the two nodes have been switched.
>
>     O. CAYROL.
> Olivier CAYROL                                   LOGILAB - Paris (France)
>                                                  http://www.logilab.com/
> Change your millenium, try NARVAL the Intelligent Personal Assistant.
> Changez de mill=E9naire, essayez NARVAL l'Assistant Personnel Intelligent=
=2E

---

Please Note: This email is only to be used for email to me from people I kn=
ow
directly. Do NOT give this email to anyone. If you must give someone my ema=
il,
give nefar@hotmail.com.