[Python-projects] The new pylint--a brief post mortem

Edward K. Ream edreamleo at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 23:07:39 CEST 2010

Work on the so-called "new pylint" project, as discussed at
http://groups.google.com/group/leo-and-pylint, has come to a halt.

It's possible that I might restart this project later, but it is clear
that the approach I chose (the so-called sudoku algorithm) will not
yield any significant performance improvements.

I believe significant performance improvements are possible, but
realizing those speedups would require the ability to create diffs of
cached data structures used by pylint. The concept is simple: we would
only re-analyze changed code (ast's).  In practice, many difficulties
present themselves.

Given the importance of pylint, it is not outrageous to attempt such a
major speedup.  However, it is a large enough project that beginning
it would present risks.

So for now this project is on indefinite hold, until I can summon the
energy to create a reasonable design.

Edward
Edward K. Ream email: edreamleo at gmail.com