[Python-projects] XMLDiff

Sylvain Thénault sylvain.thenault at logilab.fr
Thu Apr 9 08:58:01 CEST 2009

Le Thursday 09 April 2009 00:48:57 Stefan Rohe, vous avez écrit :
> Hi Sylvain,

Hi Stefan,

please don't email me personnaly but use the python-projects at lists.logilab.org
mailing list to talk about logilab's free software (CCed).

> i tried to use your XMLDiff, but the result was not quite good. Especially
> the maplookup.so sucked a lot, because this makes the python program
> totally not portable. do you think it would be possible, that u make a
> version of xmldiff, that uses totally just python routines? Then people
> could use it, everywhere they want and don't need to compile it everytime
> for the specific platform.

It would be easy to provide a fallback python implementation of function found
in maplookup.so (iirc, the equivalent python code is in comment in the C code
for most functions) that would be used if the binary version is not found.
Though the C functions provides an important speedup, without them xmldiff
would be almost unusable for documents of a reasonnable size (even with them
it's not  really usable for big documents).

I've filed a ticket for this: http://www.logilab.org/ticket/8948

Now time isn't expandable so I can't make any guarantee on when we'll
implement it. Of course as usual patch are welcome ;)