[Python-projects] Why does pylint enforce __revision__ (W0103) instead of __version__ ?

Pierre Rouleau prouleau001 at sympatico.ca
Sat Nov 13 20:06:16 CET 2004

Hi all,

Why is pylint generating warning W0103 (Missing required attribute
"__revision__") when a module already declares __version__.

My understanding of common practice is that __version__ is widely used
and even suggested by Guido in PEP-0008
(http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0008.html).  pychecker is aware of
__version__ and complains about __revision__ being un unused variable.
I routinely run pychecker, pylint and epydoc to check my python modules
and it just adds to the warning noise.

Just curious.

Merci!

Pierre Rouleau