[Python-logic] (no subject)

Rocco Moretti roccomoretti@netscape.net
Wed, 15 May 2002 17:17:10 -0400

(Note: When I use the second person pronoun "you" herein, I refer specifically to Nicolas Chauvat rather than to the list as a whole.)

I'll admit that I'm interested in the prospect of logic programing for Python. However, I'm a little confused and doubtful about the status of this "unofficial" SIG. First off, could you please clarify the founding history of the SIG? On the Meta-SIG there was the notice of intention to
create the SIG, one positive reply, and then a message by Nicholas Chauvat stating that SIG creation had been "refused," but no "official" statement of SIG rejection by Guido et al. Was official refusal given in a private
e-mail, or did you withdraw the proposal by yourself?  I'm also concerned by the use of the word "refused" - to me (and I may be wrong) the word has connotations that there was active opposition. If there was active opposition, I wonder who was opposed, as I could see no negative comments
on either the Meta-SIG or on c.l.py.

Regardless, I'm also curious as to what the goal of the SIG is. Addition of a new computational paradigm to Python's arsenal is a somewhat major step, and would require favorable winds from the BDFL to avoid the logic-SIG from turning into another lambda. You mentioned in the Logic-SIG creation letter that you had been in contact with Guido. Could you share what he had to say, so people can get a better impression of the framework the SIG works under?

As I see it, there are several levels at which it could operate:

A) Guido loves the concept - do what you have to.
B) Guido likes it - it's implemented, but no new keywords -
        new operators (like ?+, as a random example) are OK.
C) Guido likes it - but not at the cost of syntactic change -
        internal changes (as in the True/False addition) are OK, though.
D) Guido is fine with it - but only as module in the standard library.
E) Guido doesn't care - it's implemented like Numeric - a quasi-official
        package distributed separately from the main distribution.
F) Guido hates it - it is an outcast package, living in the shadows,
        begging for food in the street gutters ...