[Python-logic] python/C division of labor

Nicolas Chauvat Nicolas.Chauvat@logilab.fr
Fri, 10 May 2002 09:34:29 +0200 (CEST)

Hi there, and welcome on board !

On Fri, 10 May 2002, Simon Burton wrote:

> my first inclination is to build the engine in C with a view to a
> python interface, rather than a pure python program. (we want this to
> be more than an educational exercise, ie. we want to do some useful
> work as well ie. be fast)

Wow, not so fast. We're doing real world work here... with time
constraints. We can not afford to spend months of work hacking C code to
evnetually realize we picked the wrong solution at some point.

In PythonLand, the only sensible way of doing thins is "get it to work
first, writing python code only. If it works and is too slow, then figure
out how to get more speed out of it and if necessary consider writing C".

> so, perhaps a new builtin type representing the state of the solver
> and type(s) for, ahh, queries/predicates... actually my knowledge of
> logic programming is brand new :) and am hoping to learn more by
> implementing something. (my programming knowledge is much more worn).

No need to write C to get new types. Would you mind describing the ideas,
uses cases you are thinking about ?

> I am a math student working in logic/foundations of maths area my
> supervisor's page: http://cslab.anu.edu.au/~jks/ my page:
> http://evs.anu.edu.au/~simonb (currently evs is hiding).

Good to see we have professionals joining ;-)

--
Nicolas Chauvat

http://www.logilab.com - "Mais oł est donc Ornicar ?" - LOGILAB, Paris (France)